Thursday 27 September 2007

Aileen wins two more gold medals

PARALYMPIC cycling star Aileen McGlynn has added to her medal collection with two golds in this year's world championships.

The 34-year-old Scot won gold for both the 3km pursuit and 1km time trial alongside her tandem pilot Ellen Hunter at the 2007 UCI para-cycling competition in Bordeaux, France.

Aileen, who is visually impaired, said: "It was totally amazing to win the gold.

"When I was standing on the podium with the gold medal around my neck, I felt a tingling feeling rushing through me. I was convinced I was going to faint - I couldn't believe I'd done it."

The women used specific training techniques for the 1km time trial but did not do any formal training for the pursuit.

Aileen said: "Winning the pursuit was the cherry on the cake and was a really amazing feeling. I didn't know we had it in us."

The pair, who won gold and silver medals at the 2004 Paralympics in Athens, are focused on the 2008 Paralympics in Beijing and the 3km pursuit.

Paisley-born Aileen said: "A lot of our success is down to the fact we've stuck by each other through thick and thin. We both get medals because it's a team effort."

Ellen broke her back in June 2003 but the pair were back riding tandem again in 2004.

Dave Mellor, of the British Cycling Federation, praised the girls' efforts.

He said: "We've got two fantastic medals but we can't rest on our laurels.

"We'll have to work fast - Beijing is just under a year away."

Source: Evening Times 19/09/07

No comments: